Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wii tu, Bruté

A battle brews within the walls of Butterknife Estates. A war of words that stretches from BkE alumni to current residents threatens to tear asunder the foundation of this infamous House of Heroes. The spears and arrows of heated debate tear through the air like...well...really...big...pointy...spears and arrows.

Okay here's the gist: Thad really wants a Wii but has no money, Coach (former BkE resident) wants access to a Wii and has no money, Bret vehemetly does not want a Wii, Jared (myself) has money (well...some) and moments where he wants a Wii terribly but others when he doesn't want it at all, Matt hasn't - as of yet - associated himself with either side of the debate, and Ben's getting married so his opinion doesn't matter. What's an off-and-on gamer to do?!?

The Nintendo Wii follows the controversial gaming formula that gamers today don't want cutting edge graphics and complex control schemes...it instead tries to focus on a fun/interactive experience. Well..."controversial" as it may be, it seems to be paying off for Nintendo; as of June 2008 the Wii had sold approximately 10 million more units worldwide than the XBox360 and 15 million more than the Playstation 3.

Is it just hype? Does the system have any long-term value? Would it be a fun purchase for 2 weeks then become a dust collector? Plus every little periferal and game is that much more $$.

I have it on good authority that our local Best Buy is getting in a shipment of Wii's this coming Tuesday...pipe up before then to (possibly) influence the decision making process!!

11 comments:

the chelak said...

get a wii
most definitely!
and get smash bros
and boom blox
just trust me
it's the most fun you'll have at a party
well...a wii party
ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Kendra said...

Don't you have several friends with Wiis? Not that it wouldn't be fun to have a Wii at BkE, but if you're not sure and you have good, quick access to one (or several) already, I think you should spend your money on more practical things like owning all the seasons of LOST or on a trip to Disneyland (please invite me...I promise it will be WAY more fun with me there).

Willie said...

My observations about Wiis:
They are fun for parties, or at least parties with less than 8 people (since the Wii can only handle 4 at a time).
I can't see it being used individually for more than that 2 week hype you talk about... after that, you'll only use it when you invite people over.

Kendra said...

So what's the verdict? Are you going to buy one tomorrow???

stickman in the gallows said...

I might be warming up to the idea. I can provide the Gamecube games and controllers even. I mostly just disapprove of owning one (and I won't ever own one) and those strange 'wiimotes.' Strange indeed...

Anonymous said...

This is Coach I would like to thank you for making me look like I live in a cardboard box. I think the point I wanted to make was that you've wanted to buy a big tv or a wii. I'm to the point that you should just buy something :)

Thaddeus said...

Buy the wii, Jared! Unless you are planning on moving to SLC. Then, buy a wii for the house.

Steve said...

I was called as a BKE alumni and was asked to donate to this cause. I happy to note that I donated a little over $1.15. Now I will get a wall in the BKE named after me.

Willie said...

Woah there! I want a wall too! Why hasn't anyone called me asking for donation?! Is my money not good enough?

Kendra said...

Since many people have thought over the years that I lived there, I would be happy to donate $1.15 too. I don't need a wall named after me, though...maybe just a few holes in a wall in the basement could bear my name. ;)

Jinx said...

That sounds like a confession to me! In fact, the double negative has led to proof-positive; I'm afraid you gave yourself away, Miss Hall.